Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Tribute to the guys of 511/13

Feeling a bit nostalgic today. So today's post is dedicated to my homeys that I had the privilage of sharing the abode with in KPP sect 18, circa 1986-1989


Ah Pye

My closest roommate. We do have a few things in common. His brother was the Headboy of my Alma Mater. Came from the same kampung albeit his kampung, and my mum's kampung. Physically fit, the rugged outdoor type. Even bought a bench for weight press complete with barbells and dumbbells for his daily workout. Along with his food supplements stocked up for consumption. The most lepak guy... dressed as he please ie the simplest with white t-shirt and jeans 90% of the time. We ended up in the same class and he is the most popular with the guys for his antics....and quiet popular with the girls coz of his handsomeness, although never had any girlfriend during that period, come to think of it way way till he started working he never had any girlfriend. (which prompted Mama to ask me whether he is gay...)LOL. He is into motorbikes, superbikes, and our flat would be filled with his car and bike magazines. Since he cant afford motorbikes, he had a bicycle, with good components on it. Later on in life he used to have 4 wives (superbikes in his possession at the same time). During puasa, we would often end up buka puasa somewhere near Semua house where the used to be a lot of gerai with wrestling shown on tv....

He ended up in Sunderland, where he would visit me all the time way down south. I would occasionally meet up with him up north but more often than not he would travel down south every summer and find summer jobs at my place. I still keep in touch with him and ladies... he is still single

Ijad

He is the one immaculately dressed and well groomed. He is the B class and the one with all the connections. I used to lepak a lot at his place in BP during semester breaks. He is the ones with big dreams and ambitions. Broke his leg in an accident, and he was with crutches for a few months and with our unit being on the top floor of the walk up flat, that was a problem for him....

Ended up in Leicester via MCHE and now a bigshot with one of the investment company.

Ah Hoon

How did he end up with that name? His real name ended with Mi, and me and Pye used to tease him, Mi Goreng or Mi rebus? and his answer? Bihun.... so the name Hoon stuck. I know, I know it was childish of us... but I admit guilty as charged.

Now he is the romeo of the group. These guys were handsome, and with me standing besides them was like really out of place. He came from Muar, and quiet a hockey player. He is the one with the social life and a bit Jiwang.... always tension with his lecturers, and has a weird laugh. Oh boy he would crack up at our jokes like crazy and would go teary eyed. Has a long history with girfriends. Another one from B class.

He ended up in Liverpool, but one year later since he had to repeat his A Levels. Last I heard he was with a famous event Management company. I have his number, but have yet to call him or meetup with him.. and it has been years...

Atos

Passed away in 1995 peacefully in his sleep. He was still living with his family at that time and was still single. It still saddens me to remember him.

He was a local KL boy, and unfortunately he used to be the butt of our jokes. He was the clown of the group and the one with the musical inclination. The only one that can play guitar competently. However, his linguistic skills have a lot to be desired, always using the wrong vocabulary most of the time.....

He continued his studies in London (I cant remember which U).

Lie Jang

The guy from Sarawak was not originally from this unit, but since he spent 99% of his time at our unit, finally he moved in (there was supposed to 8 people to a unit, but our unit was only occupied by 6 guys and then it was seven). With his seluar londeh, the trend of rockers at that time, tight fitting jeans, and with his quirky sense of humor he did manage to fit in. He is from C class (for the love of me I cant remember what C class' stream was). The sportsman, where we played football and rugby together for the A Levels team (btw the A Levels team was the Champion for the KPP Inter-course - note the hyphen- competition)

I cant remember where he ended up in UK, but now resides in Sarawak. Last met him 15 years ago.

Nazri

He was the odd one out from the unit. He didnt mix much with the rest of the gang. Being a Kelantanese, he usually was with his group from the unit beneath ours. But he was still part of our family and we treat him as such

I have lost contact with him, and if anyone knows where he is, pls drop me a line



Well that was the gang, it sure bring back a lot of memories throughout the two years there. We have been through a lot together and our unit sure had a lot of visitors since the occupants were quiet famous.

FYI, the unit was a two bedroom flat, with two double decker bed in each room, a living area filled with desks and chairs for us to study, an empty kitchen, one bathroom + toilet and about three standing fans (if I recall correctly)

cheers for now.

7 comments:

IBU said...

Hullooooo...

Didn't realise my page is listed on yours. Have I been here before? Ahhh... me & my short term memory.

Anyway.... u got all these handsome friends mehh? How come I didn't know? O.. i .. c... Sect 18, UK? A levels? Patutlah x kenal.

True...true.... KPP days are nostalgic indeed :)

Cheers!

afsi said...

Dear ibu

thanks for dropping by. Apologies if I have linked to your blog without your permission/consent. Just it makes an interesting read and just wanna share it

Ni semua nostalgic coz of wanshana's epic love story la...

cheers

Unknown said...

Blog hop from wanshana.

Hey I am from KPP sec18 also and knew arwah atos.Pernah satu kelas and satu tempat belajar kat London.

afsi said...

Dear Suria

Thanks for dropping by. err... I've read your blog, didnt realise we were in the same batch.

Anyway, I wanted to write this as a tribute and to remember him

Al Fatihah

wanshana said...

Afsi,

Al-Fatihah to Arwah Atos.

Hmmmm...I guess my postings on KPP time dulu had brought back a lot of memories for a lot of people :)

I guess most would be good memories. Ya lah - first time being independent, first time being in a co-ed environment (for some of us), first time jatuh hati segala... Hehehe!

Yup - one of the best memories of my life definitely :).

Would you know Naz*i @ Bu@an, Shah*il @ Bull*t, then?

afsi said...

Dear WS

Its all your fault! Trigerring nostalgic KPP days for everyone....

Err... those names are quiet familiar.... bebudak sekolah Melayu KK ka?

wanshana said...

Sorry...I guessed I'm guilty as charged! Hehehe!

Naz*i @ Bul*n memang budak Sekolah Melayu. Sha*il @ Bull*t - I'm not sure. But, both budak QS.