Friday, October 17, 2008

What's with the sorrow?

I have been lazing around this hari raya.... mostly glued to the idiot box and radio. There is something that has been bothering me for years now. Have you ever realized that majority of the raya songs being played on the radio or sung on TV are all sad songs. They are filled with sorrow? Classic example is Dendang Perantau... dont get me wrong, it is a classic song, its a great song with wonderful melody and fine lyrics with evergreen tune but... why must we fill Hari Raya with sorrow?

Look at the malay drama fare on tv... especially directed or produced by Rashid Sibir. It will usually go like this... Parents/single mother sacrifices for the son/daughter's happiness. They end up sad, missing their 'kacang lupakan kulit' son/daughter. The story then ends up with a death in the family, with the ending at the graveyard with the sound of Takbir in the background, with tears flowing, regrets and redemption. Why?

Hari Raya is a time for celebration for the success of Ramadhan. Why must we bring sorrow in the celebration of 1st of Syawal? Granted we need to rember the passing of loved ones, but it can be done throughout the year, not just on Hari Raya.

I have missed kissing my parents' hands on Hari Raya for a few years now, but then again I miss them not only on Hari Raya but throughout the year. Life goes on, and I have to assume that they are in a better place by God's side.

I miss the TV programs in the good old days.. remember Rasa Sayang Hari Raya bersama Pakcik Jamal? If you remember that you must be a veteran..just like me.

Somehow I pity my kids, they dont have the kampung environment like I use to have, tolong bakar lemang, running away when it was time to help kacau dodol... kejar tangkap ayam utk buat rendang tok...sigh

My kids now dont even have a place to call kampung. The old kampung is now no longer a kampung, It is now a town or a city. It is not the same calling it 'balik bandar' isn't it?


So.. my message is, make Hari Raya a happy time, with Happy endings and a happy storyline

No comments: