Monday, November 10, 2008

SunHunt 2008... foiled again

The Sun Motor Hunt has gone past... and again I did not meet my target. My target was simple, get a top ten placing in the open category. My team mates expectation was higher... get a top three placing....ouch.

Final results... we did not even break into the top 20. granted we lost out to the 2oth team on tiebreak... but I came to the conclusion that we are just not good enough. To get 6 Qs wrong and 1 treasure is just abysmal in a competition of this nature.

I tried to put everything into perspective and analyse what went wrong. I came to some points to ponder.

1. We did not analyse or decipher or understand the question thoroughly. We did not look for the indicator (anagram, container, synonym, homonym etc) and we did not find the fodder for the indicator properly. Basically we were running on instinct and adrenaline alone.

2. We rushed through spotting the answers to the questions. We were not observant enough. Take for example Q7 & Q8 which have the same answers... we just assumed that it has a different answer. never bother spotting the same board for the answer.

3. We didnt decipher the treasures carefully. Although we got 3 treasures correct, although one was tembak... we were not sure of the Pepsi revive treasure.... we just failed to get the other one that was broadcasted on MixFM. I was at fault as well.... I knew I was looking for Vita - something. I was really searching for Vita milk if I interpret the question correctly. but once i read the work 'container' I was fixated on a carton of Vita milk instead a bottle. I dont know why but somehow I equated the word container=carton. Stupid of me. I was at the last Petronas shop on the NKVE, where I missed the treasure by not looking at the section where they stock the bottles. That 5 points would have inched us nearer to a top 10 finish.

I retrospective, we cousl have and should have answered at least 5 more questions that we got wrong correctly. Granted the question "Bays?"got us totally stumped and even after understanding the way the CoC thought of the question, I would still have not got the answer.

Ah well, God willing there is still next years hunt which we will still be in the open catagory :)

To all the winners, congratulations

No comments: