Wednesday, January 2, 2008

An expensive lesson

It was an expensive lesson.... a big mistake on my part which really burned a hole in my pocket.

My maid returned from Indonesia last week and I thought everything was fine. I had to renew her passport (here). But what I didnt check was her permit. I didnt read what was printed on her permit on the old passport which was cancelled. So I let her go back to Indonesia with both her passport (the new and the old) assuming that the permit on the old passport was still valid.... HUGE mistake.

She came out from the airport saying that there was a problem with the Immigration, and I was to go to the Immigration branch that issued the permit.

Went there on Monday, and I was told that the permit was no longer valid, and I was supposed to have the permit transferred to the new passport (at no cost) before she made the journey. And I have to pay for the JP Visa, since she is now considered as entering the country without a proper working Visa or Permit. Luckily Mama was with me and at least she was still calm enough to talk to the Immigration officer. Me... I was really angry, angry at myself really for being so stupid. But there was nothing that I can do and at the end of it I had to pay RM515 for the JP Visa, and got the previous permit which expires in April 08 transferred to the new passport.

So the moral of the story

1. Always read whatever fine print or even what is clearly stated or written
2. Never assume, when in doubt ask....
3. Never lose your cool....always stay level headed otherwise you'll end up in more trouble
4. Never forget the things above....

That was really a lesson for me. What with it being January and a lot of expenses for this month for school fees, transport fees deposits, kindergarden deposits, tuition center deposits and on and on.....

Sigh....

1 comment:

Helena said...

Sigh..... jenuh jugak pasal maid ni kan. I have been maidless for 4 months now.... Am now seriously thinking of not getting a new one... maybe make do with a weekly maid? mmm.... entah la tak tau lagi....