Friday, June 6, 2008

The Presenter

Yesterday my company had a function at Sime Darby Convention Center. I was given the opportunity to make a presentation by my VPat that function on his behalf.

The presentation was a technical presentation, more on technology updates, migration to newer technology, the company and my division's technology adaptation roadmap, my division roles in the development and updates on key milestones for the components of the upgrade. The presentation was to take place at the ballroom, with approximately 150 person, ranging from the Directors, to Division heads, VPs and Senior Managers throughout the company.

Two things were running through my head, firstly I was excited for the experience to give a presentation to that number of crowd, since before this the most I have given a presentation to was only about 50 people and first time I will be talking at a big venue such as this. Second was the downside, I am actually trying to keep a low profile with the management because of my previous frustration (see here), so now either I am going to do well, and raise my profile or I am going to screw up big time....

The reason I want to keep a low profile is that the top guns are looking for people to be roped in to the Change Management group as Change Agents. Pleaaaassee.... Its not something that I look forward to do since I like what I am doing now and a new project just kicked off which will keep me occupied till October.

Coming back to the presentation..... I was the 3rd presenter after the opening speech by one of the board of directors and I was allocated 30 minutes for my spot. Everything was running behind schedule by the time we to the break and I was suppose to go after the break.

So there I was on stage with the slides projected behind me... I did start out a bit nervous, but then after a couple of minutes I got warmed up and I did crack something to make the crowd laughed and relaxed (it was intentional, ok!). Everything went quite well and I was fielding any questions that was thrown to me confidently, and all in all I thought I did ok... although I did spot a few in the crowd who dozed off....

The MC did not inform me when my time was up and I actually was on stage for one hour before I wrapped up... phew... one hour talking? Never thought I could do that...

During the next break after the 4th presenter I was showered with kudos by my colleagues for a good presentation. What a relief. I even got an SMS from my VP for a job well done and he wants my materials as the foundation for further training materials for the non technical personnel in the company. I was really honoured.

Going back to the earlier Change thingy.... I was right, the director did mention to my VP saying that I would be a good candidate for the team. Luckily for me my VP said that he wants me to stay put since I am needed where I am now to run things... if they keep pinching people from all the essential division... then who are going to run things? Thank God for my VP....

There you go.. at least something cheerful or high point for me to write about my job....and to top it off I gain valuable experience in standing there in front of a big crowd and managed to pull it off. It may not be a big deal to some people but it is a big deal to me since I never did excel in Public Speaking and never had the gift of the gab.....


Cheers

2 comments:

wanshana said...

Well done, afsi!

It's always nerve-wrecking to stand in front of big crowds and do a presentation for the first time. But, after a while, you'll get the hang of it.

I have no choice but to do it - it's part of the job :(

(And I'm always dipaksarela to be the MC for functions held at the workplace...Sigh...)

afsi said...

Dear WS

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I myself was amazed that I managed to pull through in one piece..:)