Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A short trip up North

The weekend in the middle of the last schools holidays, Mama and I decided to take take a short break and take the kids away from KL. We were undecided where to go and after Mama making a few inquiries (most of the hotels at our favourite getaway locations are fully booked) we decided Penang it is.

Started our journey on Saturday morning, with our maid packing lunch for us, as we thought of stopping somewhere for lunch....The drive was a pleasant one, no traffic jam, the North Southe Highway was clear and we arrived in Penang way before lunch time.

Proceeded to my SIL's place as we will be staying over at her place for one night. However, we ended up having lunch in a beach at Teluk Kumbar which is near her house. Aahhh.. the sea breeze on our faces blowing gently made lunch so much better, far away from the daily hustle and bustle of my routine.

Didnt do much that afternoon, just hanged out at my SIL's place while they were out for a Kenduri and her kids extra classes. Well it was supposed to be a break and relaxation time. Went out to get some goreng pisang for tea for everyone... and when my SIL came back they brought another load of goreng pisang and other kuih as well.

Dinner was again at Illyana's... well I have to be frank, when in Penang, all I can think of is food. My AF1 can attest to that. Well it was a dose of Ikan bakar, Kerang rebus, Sotong goreng, Tom yam campur and ketam... (meleleh air liur mengenangkan dinner malam tu...)

The night ended with the 4 girls, my AF1 & AF2 sleeping with their 2 cousins.. and my AF3 not allowed to join, being the only boy.

Woke up early and went out with Mama in search of breakfast. Our destination was taman Tun Saadon Market. The delicacy that we were looking for was serabai.... I dont really know how to describe it but Penangites would know it... But the disaster! Horror! The serabai stall was closed! And it was closed for the next 4 days! Ouch. So we ended up with other type of kuih and various types of nasi... nasi tomato and nasi dalca packed away for our breakfast.

By noon we were out and about, and arranged to meet with my other SIL that came down from KL as well to go shopping at Chowrasta. Arrived at Penang Road and about 1 pm, had lunch at Hameediyah Restaurant somewhere near there for for Nasi Beryani. We were lucky since we got there before the restaurant was packed. My Penang SIL couldnt join us at Chowrasta, since they had to be elsewhere and would only join us at the hotel in Batu Feringghi later that evening.

We ended up buying 2nd hand books at Chowrasta and my other SIL did some shopping, comparing price for another round of shopping at the Batu Feringghi night market.

On our way to check in at Batu Feringghi, managed to stop at Island Plaza to get AF3's birthday cake to be devoured later.

Checked in at Holiday Inn Freingghi along with my SIL from KL who had checked in a day earlier, relaxed before going to the beach and pool. My SIL from Penang checked in to Parkroyal which was next door, and everyone went out to have some fun by the beach.

The kids really had fun at the beach and pool and we went to both the hotel pool :) and my AF3 finally had the courage to go down the water slide at the pool, though not alone since I was there going down the big slide with him.

We had him cutting his birthday cake at the beach, and it was nice day indeed.

Dinner was a restaurant nearby with all 3 families congegrating together. After dinner it was stroll to the pasar malam, which was along the road in Batu Feringghi. I got my DVDs which was at RM4 per piece (buy 10 get 1 free), Mama got for her mum a handbag and got herself a purse. I couldnt go far since my AF3 was already tired so I left Mama with AF1 to continue with her sisters while I took AF2 & AF3 back to the hotel.

That morning went down for breakfast early, again managed to get seats before the crowd started to swell...

Did nothing much after that, relaxed at the room before checking out and headed back to KL.

Initially wanted to stop by a famous mee udang place in Juru, but circumstances did not permit it, so just ended up at the McDonalds drive through before driving back to KL arriving safely that evening.


Just a last note, this place was recommended by Mama's cousin and I will definitely make it a point to stop there the next time I am up north.

Exerpts from his email indicating the place, with pictures credited to the original photographer

quote

Nama Gerai Pak Su

Buka jam dari 12.30 tgh hari – 11.00 malam

Khamis Tutup

1) RM 10 aje sepinggan 5/6 ekor udang besar (mee/nasi goreng)

2) RM 10 aje sepinggan 2 ekor ketam (mee/nasi goreng)

“Click kat WikiMapia Map”

http://wikimapia.org/1921830/

http://wikimapia.org/5955713/ms/warung_pak_su_mee_ketam._mesti_cuba

Now doesnt that makes your mouth water.....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wohooo....pegi taman saadon tadak serabai...its like tak lengkap balik penang....hehehhe....chowrasta books mmg a must also for me...will definitely try nasi briyani hameediah...hubby have been telling me abt it...now..i wl make it a point to go...