Monday, June 16, 2008

The Spelling Bee

Last Saturday, my AF1 participated in the RHB-NST Spell It Right (SIR) competition for the state level competition. She represented her school along with 3 other girls from her school.

Details for RHB-NST SIR H E R E

It is a spelling competition for schools throughout Malaysia and the event last Saturday was for Selangor state level competition. Competition for Primary school was held on Saturday and for secondary school was on Sunday.

Here's how the competition works, there were 4 schools to a group and each school has 4 participants making 16 kids for each group. The group were then seated on stage and when their name is called go to the mike and spell the work that the judges will tell them.

If the student gets it right he/she will return to his/her seat. If they get it wrong they are to leave the stage. Once everyone has spelled their 1st word, they will go to the 2nd round with whoever is left onstage. There are 3 rounds of ie successful students who correctly spelled 3 words will remain onstage. Whoever is left after 3 rounds will then go into a tie break to determine a winner for each group. Each group winner will then proceed to the final round to determine the state champion who will then represent the state to the national finals.

Well AF1 did quite well, She completed the 3 rounds, and after 3 rounds they were left with 3 participants and all 3 were from her school. However, she lost out to the eventual champion, her classmate in the tie breaker round.

I am really proud of her. I have to admit, when it came to the tie breaker round, there were some words that even I could not spell!

I think there were about 43 schools competing, and AF1's school emerged champion in the school's category besides her classmate that became the state champion.

Well had to spend the whole morning at the mall waiting for her to compete, but it was worth it.

AF1 had her grading for her poom belt the same morning, but eventually she chose the SIR competition, as she postponed her taekwando grading.... At least she got the experience that a lot of people dont get.

I am really really proud of her.....


Cheers

5 comments:

wanshana said...

Bravo AF1!

Afsi,

You and Mama must be really proud of her. It's hard enough for the kids to just spell the words sometimes even without having to do it on stage, in front of a big audience some more! I don't think I could have done that at her age.

And I don't think I could stand being in the hall while my child is having a go at it on stage!! It would be more nerve-wrecking for me, than to my child, I think. I would have done the same thing as you did - go shopping! Hehehe!

wanshana said...

And I just found out yesterday, a girl from my kids' school got No.2.

afsi said...

Dear wanshana

thanks. Cant remember which school it is.. Assunta kot? It was in NST on Sunday..with pictures. But obviously my AF1 was not in the picture..

cheers

IBU said...

Hi you... what a small world!!

My abang idin was in the SIR too. And to my surprise (primary category), got into the final (the only boy, ahaksss.....). Lost to the 3 girls. But won in a way - as the last 'man' standing. Hehehe...

Anyway... come to think of it, still something to be proud of. Imagine, the other 3 finalists winners were (in no particular order)from well known schools: USJ, Assunta & Sri Petaling. Aleh-aleh ada sorang budak lelaki sesat all the way from Rawang masuk Final. hahaha... kira okay lah tu........

afsi said...

Dear IBU

were you there? Which group was your boy in? My AF1 was the group right before lunch break... yeah lost to her schoolmate who was the eventual champion..

It doesnt matter which school, its the person's ability that counts. Anyway, what saddens me was the school that sent the four boys, the last boy was wearing a songkok, which failed to spell even a single word. Was it because lack of preparation, or the english standard has really gone so low?