Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My Dear AF1

Last night was a peaceful night. My AF2 was down with fever. She had her early dinner of Quacker Oats, took her medication and went off to bed early. My AF1 was in very talkative mood last night. All of us were initially in my bedroom watching Fear Factor on TV with Mama and AF3, I decided not to disturb them with all the conversation between me and AF1 so we moved to the family area and and watched the TV there.

So there I was with my mug of coffee and my AF1 with her mug of Milo, and she continued her ramblings of everything. So we ended up talking as friends, and not and a parent child. She talked about her circle of friends in school, how she is doing in school, some minor misunderstanding with her best friend. And I told her that I will always be there for her, to support her emotionally and financially for her welfare and studies. I told her of my expectations wanting her to succeed in her studies and her life. I told her as well that there are times that I will be a father to her, disciplining her, instructing and directing her, nurture her and there will be times that I am a friend to her, and promises of no secrets between us.

You see my AF1 is 11 years old. At times she is childish over petty things (well she is a kid...) but ocassionally she can really be matured. Sometimes she worries over our finances (not that we have any serious financial issues Alhamdulillah), not wanting to asks expensive things (eg toys, gadgets etc) that other kids would usually ask or throw tantrums when they dont get it. I have to reassure her again and again not to worry about this. She prefers books for presents from her uncles and aunts for her birthdays. She sometimes worries about the future, she worries about not meeting our expectations, she worries about not getting good placing in class (we never push her for this, I clearly state that she must have a target and at least her target would be 5As in her exam would do for me) She just need to reduce her carelesness and she would do just fine. She is a bright kid. She wouldnt ask for new CDs instead she would ask me to download it from the net (I know its wrong but then I do it.... not setting a good example am I) so that she can load it to her MP3 player. I got the MP3 player as gift and since I dont have time for MP3 players and Mama already has an ipod, so its hers for her birthday.

She is good with computers and gadgets. I gave her a handphone to use especially for her to carry during her tuition classes. Well, now she knows how to edit MP3s to use for her ring tones. She knows how to navigate the net (but I always check so she doesnt go to unwanted websites) she knows how to check for the connection status on the wireless router that I setup for the Screamyx connection at home (she knows this more than Mama), She knows how to transfer songs from the PC to her MP3, she knows how to use iTunes.. and the list goes on...

She is now a senior red belt in taekwando, and at the last grading she wasnt confident enough to take the test, but Mama prodded her a little, and she passed with flying colours. She is sometimes afraid that she lets us down just because she is not athletically inclined as Mama and I am, since Mama plays squash, used to play hockey in school and me playing futsal regularly and used to be active and represented my school in football, volleyball and rugby. She is not interested to take part in her school sports events. To tell you the truth, I am ok with all that. She is who she is and I am happy with who she is and how she turned out so far. She is a bookworm and and she prefers books but she is active and likes to hang out with me in the evenings maybe on a bike ride or a stroll around the housing area. And yeah, she is really close to me and I do sometimes spoil her....


My AF1, Abah loves you very much and stay you always

2 comments:

wanshana said...

Salams afsi,

When it comes to techno whiz, studies and co-curriculum your AF1 sounds so much like my eldest daughter!

Even my hubby sometimes would consult her when it comes to computer and gadgets and stuff. She's also doing quite well in school academically and also in non-academic activities. She's a runner and plays netball for her school. She holds a red-black belt in taekwon-do, but she now has to WAIT until she's 15 years old before she can sit for the Black belt grading under WTF (which really irritates her!)

However, I don't think she ever worries about our expectations of her, and I don't think she ever thinks about all the financial stuff, etc! She is a sanguine and very laid-back child. And of course, sometimes this causes headaches jugak!

It is good that your AF1 thinks about all these, in a way. It shows that she is a very responsible child. And it is good that you have a very close relationship with her. Keep it up.

It always warms my heart to see daughters who are close to their daddies, and syukur alhamdulillah my hubby is very, very close to our daughters, too.

Daughters will always be Daddies' girls, no matter what... It's even better if they are best of friends, too!

afsi said...

Dear wanshana

Thanks for dropping by, most kids nowadays shows similar traits which follows in the mould of their parents. It is the way the parents are brought up, I guess.

My AF2 is very different, and maybe I will write about her later